Description of Services
- Maintains 310 pieces of equipment ranging from 40-ton aerial fire apparatus to 18-ton Public Works dump trucks to pickup trucks and police cruisers to mowers and chainsaws
- Of the 310 pieces of equipment maintained, more than 250 are utilized by public safety first responder departments – Police, Fire, Public Works, and Emergency Management
- At least 95 percent of all city vehicle repairs are done in-house
- Offers metal fabrication and body shop with paint booth
- Allows minor accidents to be repaired without going through insurance company, thereby saving on premiums
- Towing and police impound services
- New vehicle outfitting
- Adapting to Alternate Fuel Vehicle policy
- Vehicle Recycling “Program”
- NPU bucket truck scheduled for decommission being used for tree care
- Two police department Chevy Tahoes being converted to DPW Supervisor’s vehicles – takes pressure of capital budget request for vehicles
The Fleet Maintenance Division ensures the safety of all city vehicles through an aggressive preventative maintenance program. The division uses a fleet maintenance computer software program to schedule regular service for all vehicles. This software stores detailed repair and service records and keeps track of registration, insurance, and inspection renewals.
Efficiency & Cost Savings
The Fleet Maintenance Division performs in-house new vehicle outfitting. The division:
- Customizes plow set ups for large Public Works dump trucks
- Installs lighting packages, communications equipment, and prisoner containment apparatus in new police cruisers
- Creates graphics packages for most other new vehicle purchases
This in-house service not only saves capital dollars, but also ensures consistency in equipment and setup packages across the fleet.
This division has also played an intricate role in the development of specifications to purchase new compressed natural (CNG) vehicles. At current market prices, the fuel consumption cost of CNG vehicles is approximately 50 percent of conventional gasoline and/or diesel vehicles.