Youth & Family Services
We seek to promote the social and emotional health of our youth, families, and community by creating opportunities to engage, educate, and empower all citizens of Norwich.
ANGST ONLINE PROGRAM
Angst is an IndieFlix Original, documentary designed to raise awareness around anxiety. The film includes interviews with kids, teens, educators, experts, parents and a very special interview with Michael Phelps. We are excited to offer the Angst online program for free!
You will have to enter the following to view the documentary: Email Login: firstname.lastname@example.org Password: norwich
Once you arrive to the dashboard you will find online tips and resources, an at-home discussion guide and a quick survey to complete once you have watched the documentary.
June 18th, 2020; 6pm: Virtual Hidden in Plain Sight Training. Hidden in Plain Sight is a presentation for adults and parents to raise awareness of signs that may point to risky adolescent behaviors. Open to adults only, this program recreates a mock teenagers bedroom that parents, grandparents, educators, caregivers and other adults can explore to identify hidden drug paraphernalia, and warning signs associated with drug or alcohol abuse by a teen. As part of the program, Prevention Specialists guide attendees, explain various substance use trends, and identify signs and symptoms to watch for. Prevention Specialists provide guidance for initiating conversations with teens about substance abuse, and local resource information. Sign up through the FB Event. This is a FREE training.
****UPDATES IN RESPONSE TO COVID 19*******
- Our offices are currently closed; however, our staff is working from home.
- On 4/17/20, DCF launched its "When it Builds Up, Talk it Out" campaign. Parents who wish to access supports are invited to call 833-258-5011 and speak with trained professionals who will listen and speak with them about their concerns and, if additional help is needed, refer them to responsive services. They can also utilize their phones to visit Talk it Out and click on the link to be connected to the same caring professionals. The "Talk It Out Line" is available Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and on weekends from 1 pm to 8 pm and has both English and Spanish capacity.
- Check out what current services & resources are available for families.
- We have activities you can access specifically related to Suicide Prevention & Mental Health Promotion, and you can visit Seize the Awkward for more information and resources to share with your teenager. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has also published a Mental Health Tool Kit in response to COVID-19.
- Check out our Daily Mental Health Tips
- We are also posting various at home activities for you and your family.
- CT Parent Advocacy Center also has several up to date resources.
- The Early Childhood Consultation Partnership (ECCP®) is a strengths-based, mental health consultation program, developed to meet the social/emotional needs of children birth to five. ECCP is designed to build the capacity of caregivers by offering support, education, and consultation, which promotes the most enduring and optimal outcomes for young child. For more information go to the ECCPCT Website.
- Visit our YouTube Channel for links to videos for parents and kids on managing stress during COVID 19 and also to see our videos for Tiana’s story time.
- Erin Haggan, LCSW is set up to do telehealth therapy sessions through doxy.me with Norwich residents 21 and under. This will allow for face to face sessions over the web. If families don’t have access to this platform, phone sessions can be scheduled. To schedule, please email her at email@example.com
- Check out our first Tik Tok video on how to keep busy while staying home..@norwichyouthfamily
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram
We provide programs in the following areas:
- Positive Youth Development and Leadership Opportunities
- Juvenile Justice Diversion
- Family Involvement
- Mental Health Services
- Community Outreach