Our mission is to provide immediate services to residents in crisis and to develop and administer services that help people become self sufficient and reach their maximum potential.
Description of Services
For more than 70 years, Norwich Human Services has provided social services to Norwich residents. Our department is an umbrella agency encompassing three divisions:
Walk-A-Thon: Take a Walk for Jozelaine A fundraiser for Jozelaine Jean-Pierre and her family on Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 9:30am at Bluff Point State Park in Groton. We hope to see you there!
Trunk or Treat will be held at Howard T. Brown park on Friday, October 25, 2019 from 6pm-7:30pm. Those interested in registering their vehicle to distribute candy can call the Norwich Recreation Department at 860-823-3791.
Renters Rebate checks will be mailed to you at the end of October, beginning of November. If you do not receive your check by November 15th, please call our office to follow-up.
Adopt-A-Family sign ups will begin November 1st for current Human Services clients. Forms are available now in the office or at the link below.
Thank you for your interest in applying for Norwich Human Services 2019 Adopt a Family Program where we try to match families with generous sponsors who will purchase gift items for children for the holiday. Please be sure to read all instructions as we have a new process for accepting applications
If you are a Current Client…
Current clients of Norwich Human Services may apply for this program by doing the following:
- Print out the 2019 Wish List online or you may pick up the form from our office in Norwich City Hall, Room 212.
- Call 860-823-3778 or stop into the office to get your client ID number. *This number must be on your Wish List at the time of submission. If it is missing, your application will be rejected.
- Applications will ONLY be accepted on November 1 between 9:00am and 4:00pm. At this time you will meet with a staff member to review the application. Applicants are accepted on a first come, first serve basis; when we meet our limit, we can no longer accept additional applications.
- You MUST include a well written thank you note with your wish list. Please only use your first name when you sign it. If you need assistance, please ask for help when you submit the form on November 1st.
- To allow families who have not participated an opportunity to receive gifts, if you have been a recipient of this program in both 2017 and 2018, you will be considered ineligible this year (2019). If you are ineligible this year, you may reapply next year (2020).
If you are not a Norwich Human Services Client…
New clients, those that have never received services from Norwich Human Services, may apply for this program by doing the following:
- Visit our office in Norwich City Hall, Room 212 on November 5th between 10:00am and 4:00pm to apply. You will need to meet with a caseworker to determine if you are eligible for the program. Please bring proof of income. If eligible, we will add you to the program and give you a wish list to be completed at that time. When we meet our limit, we can no longer accept additional applications.
- Applications require a well written thank you note with your wish list. Note paper will be available in the office. Please only use your first name when you sign it.
- New clients should NOT print off the wish list online as you must be seen by a caseworker first.
- Do NOT use children’s last names on your wish list.
- Sponsors are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts and are not expected to purchase every item on the list. Remember, it is through the generosity of our sponsors that help to make this a magical holiday.
- Print clearly. If the sponsor cannot read your writing, they cannot purchase that item.
- Please know that sponsors are not allowed to purchase electronics (game systems, laptops, other expensive items). If you are requesting a movie or CD, please name a specific title.
- Your signature on the Wish List indicates that we may check with other agencies who sponsor families. If we find you are on another list, we will notify you by mail that you are no longer in the program. You MAY be on our list and apply for Tommy Toy Fund.
- Older children 16 to 18 will not be sponsored, but may receive gifts cards, if available. Infants under 2 may not be sponsored.