Human Services

Need Assistance?

Are you in need of financial assistance to help pay your rent or utilities? The first step in applying for assistance is to complete the Intake Form and the appropriate Narrative which can be returned via email (, fax (860-823-3793), mailed or dropped off at City Hall. 

Intake Form

Rent Narrative

Utility Narrative

Renters Rebate

As a result of the restrictions due to COVID-19, we are starting Renter Rebate appointments using an online form and asking clients to drop off their documentation at City Hall or emailing it to

In order to complete the form via the link below, you will need an email address. If you do not have an email address, call the office and we can mail you a paper form which you can return to us at City Hall. Once we receive your completed form (online or paper) and all required paperwork, we will call you to schedule a phone appointment where we will complete the state application. 

Renters Rebate Form - click the link to complete the online form


Do you need help filing for Unemployment?

Norwich Human Services is able to help you with applying for unemployment compensation benefits. Contact Hector Sanchez at 860-823-3778 x3482 or via email at 

IMPORTANT: If you become unemployed due to coronavirus (COVID-19), you should file for unemployment benefits. 

For frequently asked questions about coronavirus (COVID-19) for workers and employers click here.

Webinars answering questions on unemployment, CARES Act and more click here

Guide for Filling CT Unemployment Claims click here

Updates in response to COVID-19

Our office in City Hall is currently closed, but we are still available by phone and email. See the link to the Staff Directory for specific contact information.

The 2020 Census can be completed online at  Be sure to log in and be counted. 

Information from Governor Ned Lamont:  Corona Virus FAQs    Important Topics Include, Prescription Medications, Unemployment Insurance, and Emergency provisions regarding eviction and mortgages.

Click Husky Insurance to read important information about your coverage.

The Department of Social Services reminds the public that applications are open year-round for HUSKY Health coverage (Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program. Uninsured residents with low and moderate incomes are encouraged to: 

Apply online:;

Apply by phone: 1-855-805-4325

Consumer information also available at and 1-877-CT-HUSKY (1-877-284-8759).


Our mission is to provide immediate services to residents in crisis and to develop and administer services that help people become self sufficient and reach their maximum potential.

Description of Services

For more than 70 years, Norwich Human Services has provided social services to Norwich residents. Our department is an umbrella agency encompassing three divisions: