Solid Waste Program
All MSW generated in the City of Norwich must be delivered to the SCRRRA Resource Recovery Facility in Preston, CT. Haulers must register with the SCRRRA and the City prior to initiating service. (See Appendix IV-A). Haulers must notify the attendant at the weight scale at the Preston RRF that the waste being delivered is from the City of Norwich. Waste delivered to the Preston RRF must be free of recyclable materials and bulky waste.
All waste haulers operating in the City of Norwich must obtain a permit from the City prior to initiating service. (See Appendix IV-B).
Waste haulers collecting waste in the City of Norwich will be billed by the Comptroller’s Office for waste delivered to the Preston RRF. The rate charged is established by the City Council and is included as part of his regulation.
The City will provide refuse collection to all residential generators and commercial addresses within the City that are serviced with small containers (garbage cans). All refuse collected under City contracts must be in the green plastic containers provided by the City. Additional garbage cans can be purchased for $90. Additional recycling cans are available upon request, free of charge.
Refuse must be placed on the sidewalk at the street line (curbside) in substantially the same location for each collection. If no sidewalk exists, the containers must be placed where a sidewalk would normally be constructed. The containers must not obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic. If an unusual problem should exist, the Director may allow the refuse containers to be placed behind the street line
Containers must be placed at curbside by 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection. Residents must assure that the containers are at curbside not more than 24 hours before the time of collection. All containers must be removed from curbside within 24 hours of collection.
The City is not responsible for bags or containers ripped open by animals or vandals. The owner/generator is responsible for the clean up of any litter not generated by the action of the collector. If City crews must be used for the clean up of this type of litter, the owner of the property will be billed the City’s cost.
The City reserves the right to require a generator to provide for their own collection, if in the opinion of the Director, the service would cause an undo burden on the City. Examples include, but are not limited to: volume too large or type of waste not acceptable.
Rollout Service (a.k.a. Backyard Service)
For an additional fee, set by the City Council, an owner may choose to have rollout service. All refuse set out for roll out service shall be in containers not to exceed 50 pounds in weight. For rollout service:
- The refuse cans must be placed in substantially the same reasonable location for each collection. They must be at approximately the same level as the ground and shall not be stored in buildings, sheds, porches, etc. unless authorized by the Director.
- The owner/generator must reasonably insure that walkways leading to and from the container storage area to the street are free of overhead, side, and ground hazards including ice and snow. A 3-foot wide clear path must exist between parked vehicles, shrubs, buildings, etc.
- The collection of containers will not begin prior to 6:00 am
Materials Unacceptable for Collection
- Recyclables: All refuse presented for collection must be free of recyclable materials. Substantial amounts of recyclables in the refuse (as determined by the Director or his designee) could be cause for denial of service. The collector will inform the Department of Public Works (DPW) if significant amounts of recyclables are noticed in the refuse. The DPW will attempt to assure that the refuse is purged of recyclables in the future. If City crews must be used to clean up accumulated materials, the owner will be billed for the cost of the additional City effort. Continuous or repeated violations will lead to fines as established in this regulation.
- Hazardous Waste: Hazardous wastes include, but are not limited to, medical wastes and household hazardous wastes (oil paint, cleaning fluid, nickel cadmium and/or lithium ion batteries, etc.).
- Bulky waste: This is oversized waste such as furniture, wood, scrap metal, etc.
- C & D Waste: (Construction and Demolition Debris) Examples: sheetrock, roof shingles, lumber, tree limbs, rocks, bricks, concrete, asphalt, sinks, toilets, flooring, etc.
- Hot Ashes or Coals.
- Liquid Wastes of any kind are unacceptable.
- Any material which by law or facility regulation may not be disposed of at the Preston RRF.
Residential customers who are serviced by City refuse collection are entitled to two (2) bulky waste collections per calendar year. For multi-family dwellings that are classified as residential generators, each dwelling unit is entitled to two (2) bulky waste collections per calendar year.
Residential customers are required to schedule bulky waste collections directly with their hauler in advance of placing items for collection. Bulky waste piles must be placed neatly at curbside with pile dimensions not exceeding 10 feet long x 6 feet wide x 4 feet high.
Construction rubble (C & D waste) will not be accepted for bulky waste collection. In general, the items listed below are acceptable:
- Household Furniture: Sofas, mattresses, chairs, bureaus, carpeting, etc. Carpeting must be folded and/or cut to a maximum length of four (4) feet.
- Appliances: Household appliances such as ranges, stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers. Items containing freon (refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc.) are subject to a $10.00 environmental charge, per item. The hauler will take note and you will be billed separately.
- Tires: A maximum of four (4) automobile and/or small pickup truck tires. Tires must be separated from the metal rim to be collected. Large truck tires will not be accepted.
- Metal: Maximum length of eight (8) feet and a maximum weight of fifty (50) pounds, per piece.
- Scrap Wood: Scrap lumber from construction sites, excluding pressure treated and/or creosote treated wood.